Dating from 1601 is this outstanding manor house or “quinta” with many period features on a large plot. Possibly built for a family descended from the Dukedom of Cadaval. Only a viewing can do justice to the huge spacious rooms, high ceilings (and doors), so no need to duck here. Massive exposed 1 metre thick stone walls, huge original oak beams, all bathed in lots of natural light. Built on a grand scale and comprises a ground floor of 295m2 build with the first floor having 195m2 of construction. The attic floor has 145m2 of potential utility area with excellent height and a structural floor and has two windows with staircase access. Total construction area is 635m2.
Many commercial possibilities for use as a hotel, restaurant, B&B house or country business retreat. Potential Projects to Your Design. With two gable windows already the attic floor could be developed into an entire third floor with some Velux or dorma windows. Slight slope in side garden allows for infinity pool to be constructed to your taste and design. You decide whether to have a fresh or saltwater, or as many are now having, an ecopool along with the size, decoration and shape.
This property is also available to buy:
Fully renovated, it has all the modern creature comforts in a grand period setting, so this is your time to live like a Lord on a serf´s budget as the unique setting is now priced for a quick sale. This would cost you at least €650,000 to 1 Million euros in France or Italy for a comparable chateaux and 1-2 million plus sterling anywhere in the UK for a stately manor such as this.
Pool construction included
The site now has planning permission received for a 10 by 5 metre pool. I can either construct to the specifications of the buyer within the asking price (once a promissory contract is signed - allow 8 weeks) or I can deduct €30,000 from the asking price and the buyer can construct it to his or her own taste and at their leisure.
The surrounding land extends to about an acre of flat gently sloping land (4,153m2) with distant views and a mature garden with trees and flowering bushes. Most unusually almost the entire plot is urban land meaning that it can be developed or several parcels of land sold to developers. This is possibly because 400 years ago an entire hamlet existed to serve the Manor house, attested by several ruins dotted around the site, with the servants living on the attic floor.
All the fields surrounding the property are rural land, so they cannot be developed. There is a faded inscription on one timber for 1601. Another inscription on a giant amphora (over 6 foot high) is for 1638 indicating large scale activity on the site from that date. One such ruin now forms an attractive walled garden. There is an adjoining patio for sitting out whilst taking in the views.
All Modern Creature Comforts
The renovation and refurbishment have both insisted on retaining as many period features as possible such as the metre thick walls, massive oak timbers supporting the floors. Mosaic (calcadas) Portuguese stone floor retained in the drawing room. Beyond that this house has everything you need for modern comfort and style including:
- Diesel central heating with thermostat control.
- Air conditioning unit outside main bedroom.
- 3 Phase 20 KVA electrical power with lots of sockets in all rooms.
- Aga Style modern electric double oven with grill and gas hob "Falcon 90" (on wheels so is mobile) and extractor hood.
- 4 bath or wet rooms with toilets.
- Grupeme connected burglar and smoke alarm.
- WiFi Broadband connected via PT with full MEO satellite service (over 400 channels, many in English).
- Excellent satellite reception allows for 1.8 metre dish for full SKY reception from new ASTRA satellite.
- Mains water.
- Well with electric pump in the garden. Water collection system from rainwater.
- Top grade sewage tank with underground drainage but also the option of easy mains sewage connection as the mains pipe runs under the road at the side of the house.
- Brand new Double-Glazing throughout the main house for all doors and windows in aluminium units with the original window sills retained. (Aluminium not UPVC is essential in Portugal due to the extreme temperature changes).
During renovation the first floor and attic floor were newly insulated. With the metre thick walls this house really does stay cool in summer and warm in winter!
The roof timbers, old water proof insulation/flashing and lagging all recently replaced with brand new treated roof timbers, modern corrugated insulation and lagging.
Outbuildings suitable for stable conversion. Horse trails nearby. The adjacent field has an electric fence and is used for horses, this could be rented. Whole acre is fenced for dogs.
Flow of the house from room to room can be seen from the photographs and floor plans and can be summarised as:
- Entrance Hall at foot of grand staircase leads to the Drawing room. Great views of the garden and countryside with wonderful light from three glazed doors and so easy access to the front and side garden from three windows/doors.
- Entrance Hall also leads to the Dining room, fit for entertaining with beautiful stone walls, alcove and massive beams in the ceiling.
- Sitting room with excellent views of garden.
- Farmhouse styled kitchen with granite tops, separate larder or pantry room with many shelves.
- Downstairs Study or extra entrance hall with views of front and back gardens. Wood Burner.
- Downstairs toilet, wet room and separate utility room.
- Ascending the grand staircase there is a central corridor giving access to all the rooms starting with the huge - Master Bedroom (5.3 by 5.3 metre plus) with wonderful light and views from windows and a large en-suite bath, toilet, bidet and shower room.
- No fewer than 4 other bedrooms (or one upstairs study or library room), one with large en-suite bathroom.
- The bedroom currently used as a study or library has access to a sun-lounge which acts as a suntrap in winter and has excellent views over most of the plot and the surrounding countryside.
- 2 Further bathrooms in the house (one shower room) with toilets, one en-suite.
Landing and full width stairs give access to the Attic which covers the full footprint of the house with two large gable windows (would have been doors originally accessed by external stone stairs). Could easily be converted to additional Master bedroom with en-suite or Games room or even both.
The grounds are all fenced and walled with 3 separate entrances and plenty of parking areas. Fenced in vegetable plot and several buildings for garden implements and the ride-on lawnmower. Walled garden to side of house. Many fruit trees including Apple, Orange, Lemon, Lime, Cherry, Walnut, Olive, Pomegranate and Pear. Great views across countryside. Another patio and lawn garden opposite the South gable. Septic tank but there is also easy access to mains sewage.
Outbuildings and Courtyard
4 Steel double gates. There are two adjoining outbuildings with 1 metre thick stone walls and new roofs and a courtyard also with thick stone walls 1.5 storeys high which could be cost effectively converted into a separate 1 or 2 bed bungalow as there is an electrical and nearby mains sewage connection. The neighbour is keen to sell an additional 18,000 sq. metres of rural land (oak wood) immediately up the hill from the property. The elderly lady wishes to move closer to family and will agree a good price.
Within walking distance of Continente brand new supermarket and the town council.
1.5 hours from Lisbon with nearby motorway connection (A13), 25 mins from Silver Coast main town of Leiria and 30 mins from Coimbra, the third City of Portugal (the capital of Portugal in Medieval times), with its world class teaching hospitals and top university. Only a 10 minute walk (2 min drive) from the centre of the District town of Alvaiázere with its District office, health centre, large police and fire stations and all necessary shops, services and supermarkets. The World Heritage City of Tomar is only 15 mins away with its cafe culture, internationally renowned restaurants and boutique shops. Very close to the river beaches and inland lake of Zêzere for fishing and water-sports. Lots of ex-pats close by, indeed the nearby town of Penela was recently featured on C4 TV as the location for an episode of A Place In The Sun and on BBC2 in Escape to the Continent.
This is your best opportunity for grand living in a period setting, so call or email now. Over 50 photos, architect to-scale floor plans and video available for interested parties. Available for viewing anytime, the owner lives at the manor house and is happy to gift lifts to the house from your hotel. There are two excellent 4 star hotels only a few minutes away, the Duecitania in Penela and the Templários in Tomar.
Minimum stay: 2 months
Loved the place from the moment i arrived. House is very nicely located, with a great view of the surrounding hilly green area. the yard is beautifully done with a variety of flowers, fruits and shrubs and trees. the house itself is very spacious, comfortable, a 1600 mansion with the convenience of modern facilities. Very old stone building with 1 meter thick walls. Multiple rooms, multiple bathrooms. very safe area, within close proximity to hiking trails and Alvaiazere town, with coffee shops, restaurants, laundrymat, Mini Preco grocery store, the weekly Wednesday market and great pastelleria to start the day at. We stayed for 2 months and it was very comfortable stay for 2 people , very much enjoyed staying and hope to return soon. Edmund is a very engaged owner will make sure everything is in order. we had a wonderful time, loved exploring the area. I had to work while in Portugal and Edmund help ensure the internet availability was perfect so there was no effect on my work obligations. Muito obrigado Edmund and Susan, esperamos vê-lo novamente em breve.
muito obrigada, moniQue